Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Geoff Taylor

Geoff Taylor
website: http://www.geofftaylor.btinternet.co.uk/
image copyright Geoff Taylor

10 Questions With Geoff Taylor


1.... who is your favorite artist?

I am continually looking at artists work. I love the work of Casper David Freidrichs ( link), Gustave Moreau (
link), Karoly Ferenczy ( link ), Eaun Uglow ( link ), Gustave Dore ( link ), Andrew Wyeth ( link).

There's got to be many more too numerous to mention and the list grows by the day.

2.... do you offer workshops for artists?

I don't offer workshops as I feel I'm still learning and I don't have the time


3.... what do you like to listen to while you work?

I love reading for my own pleasure when I have the time, and listening to a wide selection of music much of this during the long hours whilst painting.



4.... what medium and tools do you use to create your art?

I paint mainly in acrylics and mostly brushwork, but whenever I need to do large areas of colour I use an airbrush. I used gouache paint some years ago, it’s very easy to use and it’s brilliant for detail but it is powdery and therefore the colour is very easily scratched. So I switched to acrylics which I tend to use like gouache paint, not like oil paints, I do love all that thick impasto effect but I’ve never been able to work that way, so mostly my style is just the traditional paintbrush techniques - three brushes, big, medium and small. Occasionally I am asked to do some black and white illustrations, then I use Indian Ink, fineline pen, even felt-tip pens, not good if you have to use a white medium on top though! I’ve resisted the digital stuff because truthfully I’ve never had the time to learn.

When on final artwork sometimes a cunning hybridisation of imagery fails, so I have to dredge deep on my own skills, and guess what? it gets harder.Marianne, my wife and technical wizard, will scan research images for me, size them up and print them out. Then it’s the smoke and mirrors bit! The rest is just hard work and pushing against deadlines.


5.... during an average week how many hours a day / week do you work on creating art?

When the visual is approved the finished artwork goes ahead. This part of the artwork can take on average 10 days of full time painting.


6....how do you maintain motivation and concentration over a long periods of time?

As far as being motivated is concerned...well I think that is partly down to survival as This is the only skill I have .

It has never been too much of an effort either because whatever the commission [sometimes difficult ] It's a problem solving exercise, and also the impetus can be driven by tight deadlines say from publishers.

If you can see the intensity in the paintings....yes this is real blood sweat and tears!


7....how would you describe your work?

I seemed to have fallen into 3 very different genres of art - the Science Fiction and Fantasy book cover art, the "Games Workshop" graphic images (they are the largest role-playing fantasy gaming company in the world) and the wildlife painting I do which is more fine art.



8.... where can people see your work (online, conventions or exhibits)?

website: www.geofftaylor-artist.com/

I'm going to have an exhibition in November 2011 at Lancaster Library, Lancashire England. Just had this confirmed.


9.... was there a certain moment that you knew you wanted to be an artist?

I'm sure I was always interested in pictures. When I was very young I must have been aware of narrative illustration. In one fairy tale book I can remember a particular illustration, which was so disturbing I always had to try and avoid that particular part of the book. It had the quality of a recurring nightmare. When I was tiny apparently I used to spend hours scribbling on everything that was at hand. My mum said if I couldn't ask for something as a toddler I would draw it for her! I’m still scribbling now, so that early programming is still the driver.

School was a long hopeless experience; the only thing I enjoyed was art. I was good at cross-country running, but just not the age for commitment. College... for some reason I decided on a Graphic Design course, the natural progression from there into advertising, however, I seemed to have more affinities with what they were doing in fine arts department


10.... is there anything else you would like to add or say to other artists?

Confidence in knowing that whatever frustrations may occur, vis-à-vis the commission, the deadline is seriously important and must be met. Freelance work by it's very nature is a very solitary occupation - there are many
distractions/temptations when working from home.

Also, it may sound boring but it's essential to keep all receipts, copy invoices, and all that business stuff, organized for accountancy purposes.
Be inspired by other artists' approach to commissions, but it's essential to bring your own individual vision. Get a trustworthy agent!


Geoff Taylor
website: www.geofftaylor-artist.com/
images copyright Geoff Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment