Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Todd Harris


Todd Harris
images copyright Todd Harris

10 Questions With Todd Harris1.... who is your favorite artist?

NC Wyeth (link), Clair Windley, Frank Frezetta (link)


2.... do you offer workshops for artists?

I'm hoping to one of these days. A lot of people have asked me about this.


3.... what do you like to listen to while you work?


Really chilled out stuff like Air Supply. Just kidding. I can't hear lyrics when I work, they distract me too much and take me out of that critical art zone I need to stay in to create great art. I usually listen to ambient music on Pandora or movie soundtracks from my favorite science fiction and fantasy movies. This is a great trick I use. I choose an epic soundtrack on Pandora that is similar to the project I'm working. It totally inspires me.

4.... what medium and tools do you use to create your art?

Almost all digital. I used to draw, then scan it in, but when I'm at home or work I use my Cintiq 21" and Corel Painter. Every now and then I still bust out the sketch book (if I'm on an airplane or at the beach), but I also have a decent drawing app on my iPhone and a stylus (www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/a31f/) that I use too.


5.... during an average week how many hours a day / week do you work on creating art?


I'm in a really busy time trying to get some projects off the ground so right now...12-13 hours a day. It's usually closer to 8.


6.... are you working your dream job?

Yup! I am working at the coolest studio. They are committed to creativity in a way that I've never experienced before. THAT is a dream. I'm creating concept and art direction for a number of new IPs. I love it.


7.... do you feel its important for others to pursue their dream jobs?


Absolutely. When you're at your dream job, the love and passion show through in your work.

8.... where can people see your work (online, conventions or exhibits)?

www.hog-heaven.blogspot.com I have other (private) portfolios that can only be shown to potential employers because they have sensitive material on them. I'm putting together some books that will be available some day. Hopefully sooner than later.


9.... was there a certain moment that you knew you wanted to be an artist?

I'm told I've said I was going to be an artist since I was a toddler. I toyed with other -more "practical"- professions, but was taking art classes as electives. They were the only classes I looked forward to. I had a moment of pure courage in college and decided I was going to go for it. I've never regretted it for one second. In fact, the only nightmare I have is the one where I chose to be something else.


10.... is there anything else you would like to add or say to other artists?

Don't let anyone talk you out of doing what you love. They don't have to live your life and live with the potential regret you'll have if you don't follow your dreams.

Todd Harrisimages copyright Todd Harris

5 comments: