Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tyson Murphy

Tyson Murphy
blog: www.gardenturtle.blogspot.com/
online portfolio: www.tysonmurphyart.blogspot.com/
images copyright Tyson Murphy


10 Questions With Tyson Murphy
1.... who is your favorite artist?

I have SO many favorite artists.. but the first one that comes to mind is the character designer Nico Marlet (link). His work is so simple, so complex, and so full of character!


2.... do you offer workshops for artists?

I have recently been doing some DVD tutorials, but they aren't released yet. Keep an eye on my blog in the future for details ;) Other than that, I'm more than happy to offer any help in person or through the internets/emails.


3.... what do you like to listen to while you work?

Man, I listen to a lot of stuff..... I've developed a (good?bad?) habit where I have to be listening to something, or watching something while I work. I like to listen to movie soundtracks, and more ambient music like The Album Leaf, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros. I also like watching TV shows on Netflix.

4.... what medium and tools do you use to create your art?

I use Photoshop for all my digital paintings, concept work and illustration. I love to draw in my sketchbook with colerase pencils, brush pens, and watercolors.


5.... during an average week how many hours a day / week do you work on creating art?


Well at my full-time job, I spend 8 hours a day painting, usually. Even though I'm pretty beat when I get home, I like to draw or paint for another hour or two.

6.... are you working your dream job?

I AM! I currently work as a character artist on World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment. I got extremely lucky landing this job right out of school. Out of all the possibilities, this job was my number 1 choice.


7.... do you feel its important for others to pursue their dream jobs?


I think it's important to always be striving for your dream job. However, it's more important to fall in love with the actual craft you are learning. Personally, I would be pretty happy wherever I was, as long as I could be drawing and painting things that I am interested in. First pursue to master your craft, and everything else will fall into place.

8.... where can people see your work (online, conventions or exhibits)?

I have a blog that I update pretty regularly, found at www.gardenturtle.blogspot.com. I also have a profile on CGhub, found at http://murph.cghub.com/. I'm hoping to get some published work to sell/give out for free in the near future.


9.... was there a certain moment that you knew you wanted to be an artist?

When I was really little, 7 I think.. I would copy the art from the game manuals from my Super Nintendo games. Secret of Mana is my favorite game of all time, and after I first played it, I told everyone I wanted to be a concept artist. I love all entertainment artwork, but video games spoke to me louder than any other medium.


10.... is there anything else you would like to add or say to other artists?


Just want to say thanks to all the other artists out there for inspiring me so much! Looking and studying other people's work is by FAR the best way to learn. Thanks for this opportunity! :)

Tyson Murphy
blog: www.gardenturtle.blogspot.com/
online portfolio: www.tysonmurphyart.blogspot.com/
images copyright Tyson Murphy

4 comments: